Friday, July 20, 2012

The Shooting in Aurora, Colorado

     This afternoon I heard about the shooting in Colorado. There's not a lot to say. So many people were hurt/killed. We don't yet know why the guy did it. The officer from Colorado did well at answering the questions he could from the press. I don't like the press very much. They are nosy and ask questions that can't be answered, hoping for someone to slip up and accidentally answer them. I think the officer did well though. I wish the press wasn't so freaking rude. He's hurting too. Everybody's hurting. The people in the press need to get that through their minds even if all they can do is repeat the same stuff 1000 plus times.

     The officer started to say something about "getting past" this tragedy, but changed what he was saying to say something else. I liked that because it's so easy to say the cliche "we'll get past this" automatically. It's trained into our brains for who knows what reason. We all know that getting past this tragedy won't completely happen ever. So many people were injured/died/were traumatized by what this guy did. The officer kept himself from saying something that rolls off of our tongues without us thinking. We may move on, but I don't think we'll ever forget what happened.

     The officers and officials are working their hardest. Yesterday afternoon they weren't thinking that this would be happening later that night. They too, are trying to deal with their own emotions. They have friends who were also killed. I'd like to thank them for all they are doing despite what they must be going through.

     I don't think the movie Dark Knight Rises will do very well in the theater. I think that sales will drop by a lot. People will remember this tragedy with the movie. I was flipping through the channels tonight looking for a movie, and saw The Dark Knight was on. I never was a huge fan of the movie, and I flipped the channel right away. I couldn't believe that they're playing that after what happened. I understand that the movie series has little to do with what happened, but still. I don't think I can even watch the first one, Batman Begins, which I semi-liked.

     Earlier today, I wondered why people would be afraid to go to the theater. I mean, even if there ever was to be a copycat the likelihood of it happening in the theater you go to is very slim. I get it now. I don't want to go to the theater, at least not at night. And definitely not to go see The Dark Knight Rises. What happened today was tragic, scary, and could have us all living in fear for awhile. Maybe that wasn't his motive, but I feel like that was an added bonus for him. Having us live in fear of things that we shouldn't have to be afraid of.

     I wonder what will happen to that theater. Will people still go there? Will it be shut down? Will a memorial be set up? I don't know why this matters to me. It shouldn't, yet it does.

     There's nothing that can be said that can make this better. Nothing. Not even the verdict of James Holmes. Especially not that. Yes, the people in that theater need justice. We need justice. He needs to be judged, but that won't change what happened. After he goes through the justice system and the verdict is carried out, we'll all still hurt. James Holmes' family will hurt. The victims families and friends and those who were in that theater when it happened will hurt the most.

     There's nothing that I can write that hasn't already been said. There's nothing I can say that can explain how I feel correctly. I'm so sorry that this happened just isn't good enough. There are no words that can explain my utmost regrets. This tragedy can't be explained with words. Words aren't big enough.

     Why? Why did this happen? Why did it happen there? Why didn't it happen in another state? Why didn't it happen in a theater I know? Why didn't it happen to me? I'm grateful, but  I don't understand. Why did it happen to them? They didn't deserve it. No one deserved it. Life just doesn't make any sense sometimes.

     Maybe there are no answers to my questions. If there were answers, none would satisfy me.

     I don't know what to feel right now other than sadness.

No comments:

Post a Comment